Thursday, May 15, 2014

MRI results and what's next


To not keep you waiting, the MRI came back totally normal!!! This is excellent news but remember that this only gives information on brain structure, not function; but still an excellent hurdle to get past. I got to the hospital this morning at 11 around the same time Brinley's primary nurse got there and we both got to hear the news together. She is so sweet and loves our little girl, she jumped for joy when she heard. M, you rock! (keeping names out of it).

The next steps will involve the speech people and a swallow study to see where fluids are really going in that mouth and throat of hers. They use a tracer dye and x-rays I believe to see where things go. They will also begin to explore whether the breathing issues we are seeing are related to reflux, the leading possible culprit at this point in my mind if not in the doctors'.

Brinley is doing really well with feeding and putting on some weight finally. I got to do my first trach suction today, so...hurray? Actually it was not bad at all and was encouraging that, hey, this is doable...I can do this! There will be many other things to learn before all is done and we bring her home but at least it began well.

Pray for Sarah, who finally succumbed to the sickness that the rest of us went through (except Cailyn, who is healthy as an ox). She stayed home today so she missed her baby of course, but got some good rest in the process. Mentally and emotionally we have been doing really well this week. It helps that all the neurological tests have come back normal. We have been thanking God so much for all the good news and we continue to pray for healing and progress.

"Be still and know that I am God; I will be exalted among the nations, I will be exalted in the earth."  Psalm 46:10

So, I said I would be trying to figure out what God meant by knowing that He is God but I must admit that what He's really been teaching me is to just be still. It turns out I shouldn't have taken that part for granted. It has been very difficult to still my heart and mind through all of this but God is leading me in it and His peace is coming more easily and leaving less readily. We continue to be showered with blessings from all of you and we are so humbled and honored by your generosity and care for us through this.
It's starting to feel like we are going from walking through a tragedy to knowing the blessing that Brinley is for our family and being so very thankful for this experience, difficult as it is. We are establishing relationships at the hospital and meeting people we never would have had the chance to without this.

I could keep going but I think that is enough for now. It's late and I'm going to spend some time with my incredible wife. By the way, Brinley had a great hair day.

1 comment:

  1. What a beautiful baby!! Brinley, I love your hair and your eyes! God has great plans for your life and all of His plans are good. We are praying for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete